I have been training since the end of February for this Half Marathon. Jen N. and I were supposed to do the Drop 13 in June, but they moved the date back a week and that didn't work for Jen and it was too close to Ragnar so we registered for the Vigor Half instead. It was the same course but a month sooner. We both did great sticking to our running schedule and felt pretty good about our progress. When we got up to 7 miles for our long run, Jen hurt her leg and was no longer able to run. She was able to sell her spot at least, but I was so bummed that I no longer had a running partner. I had met a lady named Lynn through the PTA who was a runner and she went on the next two weeks of long runs with me. It was great! Then I was able to get to know Lindsey, a girl who lives in my neighborhood but is in the 7th ward. She is awesome! She ran with Lynn and I for our last long runs, a 10 mile and 11 mile. I was so happy I had not one, but TWO friends now that I could run with. Lindsey ended up signing up for the Vigor half as well. She had run the SL Half just 3 weeks before so she was ready for this one too! Our friends and neighbors, Scott & Stephanie Keeler both signed up for it too, (Steph bought Jen's spot!), but unfortunately Steph hurt her foot and was unable to run that morning. That spot must have been cursed. Lindsey and I went on Friday evening and picked up our packets and had dinner at Rumbi Grill. I went to bed as early as I could, a little after 9, because we had to leave at 3:30 in the morning and be ready to get on the bus at 4. Scott, Lindsey, and I all went together and got on the bus and headed up the canyon. About 3 miles in, the bus pulled over and we sat there for a few minutes before the drive announced that the bus had broken down. Great! We sat there for almost an hour while we waited for another bus to come and get us. It was quite the adventure! But we made it in time to the Solitude Lodge to get ready and had about 10 minutes to spare. We had to walk down to the start line, and at the time it was just a little chilly, but once we started walking it wasn't too bad.
At exactly 6 AM they started the race and we were off. About a mile in I realized that downhill was fast, but also very different on how it made me run. I was so worried about hurting my knee (which I hurt on my 10 mile run a few weeks before). I needed to keep my stride short so I didn't extend my leg and stretch my IT Band too far. I bought a new brace that had been helping avoid the IT Band Syndrome, which I self diagnosed myself with. Luckily, my knee didn't give me any problems during the race. But man, my calves were on fire!!! From the very early part of the race my legs were hurting and since the first 11 miles of the race are all downhill, I just had to deal with it. Everytime I would turn a corner I was hoping to see flat road, but it was all downhill. My pace was great and I was running fast and my breathing and my stamina seemed great. It was just my legs that were really feeling the burn. I felt like I was using muscles I had never used before. I stayed with Lindsey for the first 2 miles and then she took off and I was probably about 1-2 minutes behind her the whole race. I could always see her but just couldn't go any faster. Finally at mile 11, I realized I was getting closer to her and by mile 12 I was right behind her again. When we finally finished I was one second behind her! It was fun to cross the finish line with her! My final time was 1:49.36. (My last half 3 years ago was 2:05). I was super happy with my time and pace (8:22/Mile). Other than it being downhill and my legs being on fire the whole time, it was a very nice run. The mountains were beautiful and the weather was perfect. I wore gloves until mile 5, and then took off my top layer around mile 7. It was fun to see the river run along the road, feel and smell the fresh air, and watch the sun come up. It was fantastic!
After we finished I felt like I could hardly walk. It was crazy! We posed for a few pictures, got a creamie, bagel, and a water and were were leaving by 8:15. I just new I was going to be sore the rest of the day, which I was. But I literally couldn't walk when I got home and tried to get into the house. So once I did get inside, I grabbed two ice bags and iced my legs and used a foam roller to help do as much stretching as I could. I woke up today just as stiff and actually am more stiff in my neck area and back. I think it is because all of the jarring that happens when you run down hill. I am feeling a little silly since I am sore, but I am a little mad because I feel like I totally trained like I was supposed to and I shouldn't be sore. But I am....and I am blaming it on the downhill. I ran 11 miles last week and had no issues with being sore, but it was flat so that is probably why. I think I will do another half, but not another one that is ALL downhill like this. It is just too hard on my legs. I am happy it is over and I am proud that I was able to accomplish this!


2 comments:
Wow, what an accomplishment Britt! You leave me in awe! I'm very proud of you and sounds like you had a great time!
May I make a recommendation? 10 miler to the temple on 1800S and down 400 North...That helped me a lot when I was training for my Ragnar that was all hills. Just a thought. You are inspirational!
Post a Comment