Sunday, February 5, 2012

Early Out!

This past week was a bit crazier than normal, because Carson had Early Out all week at school because of SEP's.  It worked out great on Monday since Nick was home and we wanted to go to the Fun Center for Kaylee's Birthday.  But by Wednesday, I was realizing how short my days seemed with him getting home 2 hours early!  His SEP was Tuesday at 4.  Both Nick and I went with Carson to talk to Mrs. Thompson.  Carson is doing great in school.  He is improving with his reading, math, and other skills.  His writing has improved a ton and is is right where he needs to be.  Of course there is always room for improvement, and she gave us a few things to work on like subtraction, comprehension, and test taking skills.  But he has gotten 100% on the past 6 spelling tests.  I couldn't be more proud.  He is a great friend to everyone in his class, is always quiet and polite to his teacher, and Mrs. Thompson said she really enjoys having him in her class.  On Tuesday, during school, I got a call from his teacher around 12:15 saying that Carson fell at recess and hit his nose pretty hard and had bled quite a bit.  So I went to the school to take him a new shirt, per his request.  But when I got there, I realized it was more than just a bloody nose.  So I ended up just taking him home.  He had cut in between his lip and nose, like he did almost 2 years ago at the swimming pool during swim lessons.  But it was in a new spot.  I remember how much he bled when it first happened, I can just imagine again how much he was bleeding that day.  I ended up just throwing his white under shirt away because it was so soaked with blood.  I got him cleaned up, found some steri strips and super glue, and was able to get him all put back together.  I was tempted to take him to the ER again, but I knew that is the most they would do for the cut, so I saved us the copay and it seems to be healing just fine!  Here is a picture of his poor nose.  It looks pretty good, because it was after I cleaned up all the blood and changed his shirt.

 You can see he also got a little cut on the top of his nose.  So I guess, from his explanation, he was standing at the bottom of the 'hill' on some ice.  A kid was sliding down on the icy hill and ran into Carson, basically taking his feet out from underneath him and he landed on his face.  He was a little shaken up, but he rested for a bit and was anxious to still make it to his SEP later that afternoon, which we did.  The steri strip came off the next day and it looks really good.  My only concern about this injury is his ability in the future to grow a mustache.  With not one, but TWO cuts...it could be interesting!  Just a few more pictures from the week.  Alivia is still just a crawling maniac!  She loves when I vacuum.  She also loves to stand up next to the vacuum and play with it.  She is so funny about it...it just makes me laugh!
This week, Carson brought home an assignment to do a report on an animal of their choice.  His choice was the hamster.  So on Wednesday, I took him to PetSmart to look at hamsters and to hold one.  We took some pictures so we could put together a poster.  (I will post some pictures on another post).  So Thursday we spent some time putting the poster together and working on the written part of the report.
 That afternoon, I also went to our tax people to get our taxes done.  I was excited about our refund!  There are a few things we want to do with it.  Like new tires for the van, food storage, and add more to our savings.  Friday, Kaylee was so cute while I was working on the computer.  She got out this fun writing/reading game I had bought Carson, and used the marker to trace the letters in the book.  She did a great job!  She is so smart and it will be so fun to see how much she will learn between now and first grade!
 On Friday Night, Nick and I had a fun date night.  We ate at the Blue Iguana in SLC.  (It is right below Beni Hana's.  It was delish!!!  We had a coupon from KSL Deals that we had bought back in November and hadn't had a chance to use until now.  I had a yummy Chicken Mole Enchilada...which is a enchilada sauce with CHOCOLATE in it.  Wow.  Seriously...wow.  I can't wait to go back.  After dinner, we headed to RC Willey to look at TV's.  We have been thinking about getting one for awhile, but we had heard they have good prices after Christmas.  We found a Sony Google TV, so we can stream Netflix right to our tv without a gaming system (which we don't have).  Nick got it all set up while I was at a baby shower and playing the piano at the stake baptism yesterday.  So here is what we had before...total old school TV.
 And the new TV.
It isn't very big (40"), but it is perfect for our small family room.  We also found the perfect TV stand that fits in a corner.  I love it!  It gives us even more space in our family room!  I don't have a picture, but we also found a little 32" flat screen LCD TV for our bedroom.  The tv we had I had got when I went to college 12 years ago, and had a built in VHS player.  It was really old!  So we did splurge a bit, and got TWO tv's, but it was about time!   Eventually we will replace our cool 50" rear projection tv downstairs...but that might have to wait a few more years!  We spent most of yesterday organizing stuff around, because of the new tv's, and watching movies off of netflix.  Nick and I watched "The Last Song" last night after the kids went to bed.  Good movie...definitely a tear jerker!  Oh boy though, it was a fun busy week.  I will be glad to be back to our normal schedule this week!

No comments: