Monday, September 7, 2020

Preston's Poor Nose!

We had our Saturday turn way more eventful when We had a little accident with the Go Kart.  Karen and Ryan had come up with Sam McCall to pick up Savannah and before they left, Nick put new tires on the go kart and let McCall take it for a drive.  Preston was the passenger.   They headed down the street just as I walked out of the house.  I was a little worried, just because I saw a car on the road follow behind them.  But I brushed off my fears, and they had helmets on and not going far.  The girls were on the fourwheeler right behind them.  We sat and chatted in the driveway for a few minutes and then Karen's phone rang and she just started yelling to "Go!  GO!"  We had no idea what she was talking about or who she was talking to.  Until Kaylee came down the street on the fourwheeler and told us that they wrecked and Sam hurt his leg and Preston was bleeding.  So I took off running and ran up by Owen's house and up to the culdesac above us to see what happened.  By the time I got there, Preston was sitting in the shade in the driveway of the Havasi's.  Joe had some paper towels on his face and I figured he had a bloody nose, but when I lifted the towels, I saw a huge gash on his nose!  Joe was on the phone with 911 and within a few minutes paramedics arrived to help get the bleeding under control and we determined we could just drive him down to the ER here in Pleasant View.  McCall seemed to be okay, other than his leg was hurting and had a little cut above his lip.  I drove Preston down to the ER and they were able to get us right in.  But then right after we arrived, like 4 more people came in, including McCall.  Once they got him home, the decided his lip needed stitches and his foot might be broken.  

In the ER, they determined Preston's nose was probably broken so they did some CT scans to confirm and also to make sure there were no other head injuries.  I think it would have been quicker, but with the patients that came in after us, we were there for about 3 hours before they finally were able to stitch up his nose and get us home.  Preston was such a trooper and did pretty good, even when they had to numb his nose before they stitched it.  But once he was numb and didn't have any more pain, he went back to being his funny witty Preston.  He was cracking jokes and razzing the doctor while he was being stitched up.  It was hilarious!!  He would say things like "I thought you were going to fail at this", "I thought you had a plan for this" (When the doctor said he just needed to figure how to line up the skin before he starts) and "Make sure not to sew my lips together".  We were dying of laughter.  

We got him home and got him some pizza and he chilled on the couch for a few hours and other than the next morning, he didn't need any pain medicine.  He even slept through the night with no problems.  We went to Dr. Anderson, an ENT at Ogden Clinic on Monday, and we set up a surgery to set his broken nose for that Friday.  The worst part was that he had to have a Covid Test on Tuesday before he could have his surgery.  But again, he was so brave and is one tough kid.  I am just so thankful it wasn't worse than what it could have been.  McCall did end up getting stitches on his lips and had a fractured leg and ended up with a cast.  But we can do broken bones and stitches over brain injuries and death any day!  Here are some pictures from that day.  


























 

No comments: