Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Rollercoaster Ride

As a mom, my day is filled with different emotions. I can be happy one minute, upset the next, sad, and then feeling very overwhelmed with love the next. Some days are more of a roller coaster ride than others, and yesterday was one of the wild ride days! I woke up feeling pretty good about the day. I knew we had a busy day planned that included our weekly cleaning, but I also needed to run some errands and I was working on finishing up a short sale that had closed the previous day. I was just finishing up cleaning the bathtub in my bathroom when I heard Carson screaming his head off. I panic and ran into the kitchen expecting to see him bleeding or broken. But instead, this is what I found:
I immediately tried to calm him down and tell him it was okay and that we can get it cleaned up and it isn't a big deal. I was just happy he was okay. I had just helped him get Kaylee some chocolate milk and he asked if he could have some too, but insisted that he could do it himself. He has done it before, so I told him he could, but to ask me for help if he needed it pouring his milk. Rather than getting out the half empty gallon in the door, he got out the new gallon on the shelf and was trying to transport it on the bar stool when it fell off and split open. After almost a whole roll of paper towels, we got it all cleaned up. I wasn't too upset since I hadn't mopped yet, which was next on my list of chores. And it gave me a good reason to pull the fridge out and clean behind it. I wasn't too upset, just frustrated that it was a brand new gallon of milk and that I had to spend an extra half hour cleaning than what I was planning on. It also didn't help that I had spent most of the morning getting after the kids for fighting or yelling or running or not listening. I went back to finish the bathrooms then went downstairs to rotate the laundry when I heard Kaylee come tumbling down the stairs. Really?!?! This poor girl, she was trying to take a toy firetruck down the stairs and just missed a step. So I took some time to comfort her and make sure she was okay. I was then feeling very overwhelmed with one thing after another going wrong that day (even though it wasn't that bad, it sure felt like it at the time!). After all the cleaning was done and we were all ready for the day, Kaylee made my day a hundred times better by finally pooping in the toilet! We had been telling her if she went in the toilet, we would take her to Coldstone for some ice cream. So after Dad got home from work, we all went and had ice cream! It made us ALL very happy. But then about a half hour after we got home, she pooped in her underwear. Really?!?! We fed the kids dinner and dropped them off at the our neighbors, the Neumanns, so Nick and I could attend the Motab Christmas Dinner Party at the Grand America with my mom and dad. This was the first year since I have been in BoTS that I have been, and it was an amazing evening. It was so fancy and we got to eat yummy food, and best of all, hear President Monson speak to us. What a difference a few hours make, since I went from cleaning up milk and poop to eating in the fanciest hotel in SLC and rubbing elbows with really important people. Looking back over my day just made me realize how emotional a day can be. You love your kids, you want to strangle your kids, you want to hug and kiss your kids, you want to lock them in their room for the rest of the day, you want to give them everything, you want to throw all their toys away, and it repeats itself EVERY DAY! But really, I wouldn't do it any different. I don't mind riding this roller coaster every day. In fact, I would be willing to do it the rest of my life if I am so lucky to be able to. Tonight my kids were so cute....Kaylee was happy to hear we were having spaghetti for dinner and told me it was her favorite and that she would eat it all gone. And she did! That made me happy.
Carson is always saying the cutest things and doing things to make me happy. In fact, he used the back of wrapping paper to draw a picture of me and him. He told me that whenever I am sad or mad, I could just look at that picture and it would make me happy. Which, it does work. He has already pulled it out a few times during the past few days. (Normally it is when I have just put Kaylee in time out for whining or not listening and I get upset with her). He really is the most loving little guy and I love snuggling with him every morning before we start our day!
I just wanted to share how much I love my family. Yes, there are moments I question my sanity and my ability to be a mom and wife, but with out my family, life would be pointless. I hope that all moms realize how fun this ride is we are on and that we choose to get back on that ride every day!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

That's a perfect way to describe being a mom -- a roller coaster ride that we repeat every day -- I like that.

Lifes Great Adventures said...

So true Brittany! It really is a rollercoaster and then between it all we are being hard on ourselves hoping we handled it all correctly. It is the best thing ever though- being a mom!