Saturday, November 20, 2010

Wednesday-Roatan, Honduras

We got up bright and early on Wednesday morning and enjoyed breakfast in the Grand Restaurant. It was very good and formal for breakfast! We then watched the as the boat ported in Roatan, Honduras. It was raining before breakfast but as we pulled into the port it was just a little muggy and overcast. It was still quite warm and pleasant.
We were in awe when we saw how green everything was and how blue and beautiful the water was! Did I mention it was super humid??? By the time we took this picture and headed back to our room to grab a few things before we left the boat, my hair was a frizzy mess so I ended up pulling it into a pony tail the rest of the day.
We had booked an excursion before we left to do a Glass Bottom Boat Tour. Not only did it include a boat tour, but also included a tour of the island as well. We stopped at the top of a hill on the island since the boat wasn't quite ready for our group. It was a bit muddy from the earlier rain, but it was beautiful!
While we were stopped, there was a few stands across the street selling jewelry and wood bowls and other pretty wood items. So we took a few minutes to look and bought Kaylee a cute necklace and bracelet from a 5 year old little girl. She was so cute! I guess they have public schools in Roatan, but they have the school schedule set up around the cruise ship schedules so that kids are out of school when they have ships ported so they can help work while the tourists are on the island. Roatan is a very poor island of Honduras. Tourism is the main source of income for families on the small island. Being there was amazing and beautiful but also made me very grateful for my home and country that I live in!
When we pulled up to the beach area to get on the glass bottom boat, we saw this cat asleep on top of the shop sign across the street. We thought it was pretty funny! What a life that cat has!
Here is our group walking on the dock to get on the boat.
The pictures from our small camera don't do the water justice on just how pretty everything was!
We got on the boat and I was very happy with how well you could see into the water since you sat clear down into the boat. It wasn't just a glass bottom, it was like big glass windows so you could really see into the water!
We saw all sorts of fish and even a jelly fish! It was just SO amazing!
The only down side of the boat tour, was that it was a small boat with lots of people in it and it got warm! And then add the rocking from the waves and by the time we were done quite a few of us, including me, felt kinda sea sick! It took about an hour for my stomach to calm down and the fresh air helped too!
This is right after our boat tour. I thought the beaches were absolutely gorgeous!
After the boat tour, we went to a bar & grill for lemonade and drinks. We also got to watch the Garifuna Dancers perform.
It was interesting to watch them dance. The drumming was cool, but the dancing mainly consisted of shaking their hips. One thing I was very caught off guard by happened when I went to the restroom at the grill. It was somewhat clean in the bathroom, but as I sat down I realized the sign on the wall that said "Please don't throw toilet paper in to the toilet, throw it in the garbage." Then I realized the big garbage can next to the toilet. Ugh. Okay...whatever. I thought that was pretty gross but realized it probably had something to do with the way the sewer system is in Roatan. I thought it was so interesting I took a picture of the sign to show Nick.
This is Nick in front of the bar & grill we stopped at to watch the dancers.
We had some time to do some shopping along the street before we headed to our next stop. We didn't spend any money here but had a fun time looking at the different things people make to sell on the streets and in tiny little shops. Some shops were just structures with no floor or electricity or a folding table on the side of the street. Others were normal stores with cash registers and Coke machines. This picture of me is in front of a shop with a really cool wooden bench that was a great place to relax until it was time to go. The road in Roatan are very poor. The roads that ARE paved are very narrow and the rest of the roads are dirt and are full of pot holes. It was crazy watching people drive up and down the road with a bunch of tour vans parked along the side. I can't imagine trying to navigate my way through the mess of pot holes and people. There are rarely places that more than one car can get through at a time going opposite directions! We got back on our bus and headed towards the Cameo Factory.
I asked our tour guide to take a picture of our tour group. It was made up mostly of OLD people, but it was still fun since mostly all of them had a great sense of humor and joked the whole time about how old they were! I asked Nick if it meant we were old if we picked the tour that all the other old people picked! I guess when you don't like salt water, your excursion options are a little bit more limited!
At the Cameo Factory, they explained to us what they make (which was good because I had no idea what a cameo is....they are the little white faces carved out of stone that people were normally as a necklace).
Here is one of the artists sculpting on a shell. It was amazing to see it done by hand!
This was a view from outside the Cameo Factory along the beach. You can see our cruise ship in the back ground and see the beautiful skies that had cleared up!
We got back on the boat just shortly after lunch time and grabbed a bite to eat and ate on the back of the ship.
Then we headed back out to the port to do some shopping. We just stayed close by the port since that is were all the nicer shops were. We found some cute magnets for the kids and took a few more pictures.
We then boarded the ship again and hung out by the pool for a bit and had some more chocolate chip chookies and milk!This picture is just of me showing that our cabin was on Deck 9. Exciting, huh?!?!
And our stateroom number 9078.
We enjoyed the view from the top deck as we got ready to port from Roatan. The weather couldn't have been nicer! It was so refreshing to just sit out on the deck and soak it all in!
Then, when we thought it couldn't get any better, we watched the most amazing sun set.
What a romantic way to spend our annivesary. That day, Wednesday, the 10th of November was are actual 10th annivesary! I will never forget it!
That evening at dinner, after we ordered and ate our dessert, we also were surprised from our waiter with a Happy Annivesary Cake! They even sang to us Happy Anniversary to the tune of Happy Birthday! It was so fun to blow out the candles! They cut it up for us and helped serve it to our table.

After we stuffed ourselves full on dessert, we went to a show. That night a comedian juggler preformed, and it was awesome! Not only was he an amazing juggler, he was stinkin' funny. Nick and I laughed so hard I was crying! It made for a perfect ending to a perfect day!

No comments: