Today was the South Davis Rec Center Labor Day Triathlon. I did this same triathlon two years ago. (Last year I was pregnant and TIRED so I had to skip it). So I was excited to get to do it again this year! I was feeling more prepared for the bike portion, since I have a better bike this time and have been training really hard in that area. But the past 3 weeks has been tough since I have been sick, then I hurt my knee last Friday, and so I haven't trained as much as I would have liked to, but I still felt like I could at least finish and push myself super hard! I got there really early to get a good spot on the bike rack, about 6:30 AM. Nick dropped me off and helped me get set up and checked in. Then he headed back home to grab the kids and my mom.


I got lined up for the start of the Tri, the swim. You line up according to your time, so I estimated my time to be about 7 1/2 min. I ended up passing about 4 people and my swim time was 6:44, 350 yards, so I felt really good about it! Then it was off to the transition area to get ready for the bike portion.



I had a great bike portion. There were two girls that I passed and then they passed me and each other for almost the whole bike portion. It was great to have someone to race with and push me to go hard and fast. I even caught up to my friend and neighbor Stephanie Keeler who was also competing in the Tri. She is super fast, especially on her run! I forgot to put on my watch for the bike, but I could tell I was averaging a good speed and pace. My bike time was 40:20, for 12.8 miles. My fastest time on a bike for sure! On a side note, the missionaries had come to volunteer for the race. I saw them in the morning checking in and my Mom got the biggest kick out of seeing them while they were waiting to watch me. She told me I had to email a picture of them to Elder Brower. And I will.



My biggest fear of the race was seeing how my knee would hold up on the run. Luckily, my knee did great and I had no pain at all. But, I had the worst side aches on both sides. I haven't really ever had problems with side aches in the past, so I wasn't sure what to do, so I just kept running. I tried my hardest to keep a 9 min mile pace, and I did for the most part. About mile 2, I slowed to a 10 min mile until Mile 3, then I was able to pick it up again to a 9:30 min mile pace. I finished my run in 33:26, for 3.57 miles. Overall, I was really happy with my time.



My final time, with transitions, was 1:22.59. I placed 8th, out of 24 in my age division. My swim time was 2nd in my division. Overall, I was very pleased with my race. I am glad I finished strong and that I improved from the last Triathlon. It was fun to have Stephanie there competing with me and my family there cheering me on.


Stephanie has a little girl that is only 4 days older than Alivia, fun, huh!?!

Thanks to my family, Nick especially for being so supportive of my goals. I have great friends who have helped me out, and I am so thankful! What's next for my race agenda?? The Wonder Woman Ride in Payson in a few weeks. A 30 mile bike ride with the Masherz Ladiez Riding Group. Can't wait! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment