Saturday, January 23, 2010

Quite an Experience!!!!

A few days ago, I got a call from my Bishop asking if I would lead the music for a funeral on Saturday. It was for an elderly gentleman in our ward named Frank, who has been sick for the past year or so and I was not that familiar with who he was, but I agreed to lead the music as long as I could find a sitter for the kids. I am so thankful that Jana was willing to watch my kids....it turned out to be quite an experience than just leading the music! As I walked into the chapel, I was a little later than I would have liked, since they started the funeral a little earlier than scheduled, but I made it up on the stand before they started and sat down. As I did I noticed someone sitting next to Arrin Holt, one of the Bishops Counselors. It took me a second, but then I realized who it was. The Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson!!!! What?!?!? Jana had told me that he may attend the viewing, but I didn't really give it a second thought! He was actually here, at the funeral sitting only a few feet away from me!! The funeral was wonderful and it was amazing to hear the prophet speak on such a personal level. He was funny, sincere, and absolutely delightful to listen too. He even wiggled his ears at one point during his talk (as part of his story)! After the funeral was over, he walked over and thanked the organist and myself, and I got to shake his hand. It was such a neat feeling! Now, I don't think the prophet comes to just any one's funeral.....Frank was a barber at the Deseret Gym and had quite a clientele. Including President Hinckley, Faust, and other GA's. Even a Utah Supreme Court Judge spoke at the funeral, and he was also a client of Frank's. He has been Pres. Monson's barber for quite some time and so that is the connection between the two. It was quite amazing to learn so much about this man and the amazing life he lead! I felt bad I didn't get a chance to know him better in our ward.

After President Monson made his way out of the chapel and walked outside, he took time to shake more hands and take pictures with families. I didn't have my camera in my purse, but I had my camcorder, so I thought I had better get some of this on camera so I could show Nick, Carson, and Kaylee who I got to meet today. I am sure President Monson gets reactions like this wherever he goes, but it was like everyone seeing a celebrity, but of course this was even better!!!! So the video I posted is kind of funny since I was just as excited as everyone else was to see him.

How cool will church be tomorrow when we walk into the chapel and know that a Prophet of God has been there?!?! Again, it was a great morning and I am so glad that the Bishop asked me to be a part of the funeral! It was amazing!!! It makes me realize that there are reasons to our callings and you will be blessed by doing service! So remember that the next time your Bishop or Church Leaders ask you to serve. You don't know what kind of blessings are in store!!!

4 comments:

shanae said...

That is so neat. Last year lindsay,bess,nicole,mom sierra,lilly and myself, were wedding dress shopping in slc, and went to lunch at the little america hotel. At the next table the prophet, it was so cool to have the girls be able to meet and shake his hand. It was amazing the way the room felt, it felt like a safe place. What a wonderful experince you had, i am glade you were able to share it with your family. I love your blog it is so fun to read.

Andrea said...

That's awesome!!

Holt's in da House said...

Sorry I'm such a dork, Brit! It was very cool. Wish my boys could have been there! But I'll show them your video... Thanks.

Jana Banana said...

I'm glad you had such a neat experience! Loved your video too...very cute!