We did it!!! We completed the Bountiful Triathlon this morning. A few months ago I thought it would be fun to train for a triathlon, to help keep me motivated with my exercise routine. After mentioning this to my dad, we thought it would be a great idea to do it as a relay team with me, my dad, and brother, Chris. So we registered with the team name Brower Power, and started training for the big day! Or I guess I should say I started training....Chris is already a great runner, and 3 miles is no big deal for him! And my dad swims every morning for his workout, so he was already used to swimming. I think we were all pretty excited about the thought of doing this tri together!! Since Nick had to work this morning, I had a babysitter come at 7 AM, so I could go to the Triathlon and meet up with my Dad and Chris. Thanks again Kelsey for being so willing to get up so early! :) We got our numbers marked on our body, with big black permanent markers, and picked up our timing chip that we would wear on our left ankle. Then we waited for the race to start. I was a bit nervous, and felt a little nauseous. I looked at my heart monitor I was wearing, and before even starting the race it between 110 and 120! Here is Chris before he started his run portion.
He is on the very left side waiting to start. There were over 400 participants and over 20 relay teams. It was quite a site to see and was very intimidating.
My Dad has always been involved with us as kids growing up in sports or other activities. Here he is watching as Chris starts the race!
Chris got out with the leaders, and did a good job getting us started!!!
The guy in the green outfit was the one who was the overall winner of the tri. He is 31 yrs old, and was a runner in college. We talked with him for a bit after the race, and he and his wife both did the triathlon. Once they got out on the street, and was just him and Chris in the front.
Chris was the second runner in, which meant I was the second biker out!!! What an adrenaline rush!!! Chris passed me the timer, and I hurry and put it on and got to the bike rack in the transition area and grabbed my bike, but it got caught on the bike next to mine, and I ended up knocking that bike off the rack with mine, and so luckily Chris was there to help put it back! :)
And I was off. I couldn't get on my bike and ride until I was out of the transition area. But once I got on, it was crazy!!! I had such a rush cause everyone was cheering, since I was the 2nd one out....and I must have used up quite a bit of energy because of how excited I was, because about 2 miles into it, my legs were SO tired, but I just kept pushing on so I could finish!!
So it was great getting out ahead of everyone....but....since I was ahead, I didn't pass anyone, in fact, they passed me! I felt so slow compared to all the guys passing me on their super fast, aerodynamic, professional bikes!! But I just kept going! I finally made it back in, jumped off my bike and headed back to the bike racks to put my bike away so I could pass on the timer to my dad.
As you can see there weren't too many bikes left by the time I got back, and I was the first bike back on my rack. As I was putting my bike back on, one of the poles that holds the rack up, fell down, and I ended up knocking the whole rack down, so I just kicked my kick stand down and kept going....yelling 'oops' as I left! :)
When I got off the bike, my legs felt like Jello and it took me a few steps to remember how to walk, but I managed to get the timer off my ankle and onto my dads so he could run to the pool and swim.
I strapped on the timer, and away he went. He was in such a hurry to get in the pool, he forgot to put on his goggles, so after he dove into the pool he realized he forgot his goggles, and had to swim without them. He did such a great job!! No one passed him, in fact, he passed other people! Pretty good for a 58 year old!!!
You can pick him out...he is the one with the shiny head! :) So overall this is how we finished. Chris ran the 3 miles in 18 min 25 sec, I biked 10 miles in 36 min 54 sec, and my dad swam 350 yards in 7 min 11 seconds. Our total time was 1:04.13. We took 4th place in the relay team division. Unfortunately, they only gave out awards to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place! But we were still pretty happy with 4th place and had a blast doing it!
One of the things I thought was funny, was the number markings. They put a number on your left leg for your age, an 'R' on your right leg for Relay Team. Then our team number on our left arm. I guess I didn't realize that is what they would do. I took a shower, but it is still on there barely.
It was so much fun and I am so glad that we did it!!! There is a novice triathlon next month for the Davis Rec Center I would like to do, but that means I have to run and swim too!!! Better get to work!!Thanks again to my dad and Chris!! I love you guys!! Thanks to Jana for helping me with the kids! And to Nick for letting me train for it! I know it is a sacrifice on your part!
4 comments:
Congratulations! What a great accomplishment for all of you guys!
I am so proud of you! You set your mind to something and you did it. You should be so proud. :) You are inspiring to me. Can't wait to get together with you...hopefully real soon!
You just keep going and going! Good job, that is awesome :)
WAY TO GO! I'm in awe. 4th is fantastic for beginning!
Post a Comment