Saturday, April 3, 2010

Eggs & Strawberries!!

We have had a busy few days!! On Friday, we had dinner with Grandma & Grandpa Brower when they stopped at our house on the way home from Chris's Track meet at UVU. We had homemade bbq chicken pizza! Yum!! Then we headed over to the Yospe's house to continue the tradition of dying easter eggs!
With the kids getting bigger, they both insist on handling the eggs themselves, and so we did have quite a few eggs get cracked during the process! But they still turned out great!
Today has been a very busy day!! I got up at 7 AM and went to Winegar's to buy frozen chicken for $1.29/lb. It was an "Early Bird" special. By the time I got home the kids were up and I headed out the door to go on a run. It was so nice having Nick home to help with the kids!! I went to the Farmington Station to run on the legacy parkway with the South Davis Road Runners at 8 AM. I ran 10 miles today! The farthest so far!! It felt great and it was fun to have 2 other girls to run with and chat. I still can't believe that the half marathon is only 2 weeks away!! It took me 1 hour 40 minutes to run it (which I ran the whole thing, no walking). So By the time I got home it was 10, and Nick had already headed over to the elementary school to the Eggstravaganza. So I changed my clothes and met them at the school. I missed Kaylee's egg hunt, but we had a chance to decorate a bag before heading out for Carson's turn at the easter egg hunt.
The kids got some fun easter baskets this year. They are hats! Once we are done using them as a basket, they can be used as a hat!!!Kaylee was very fashionable today! Nick dressed her and had fun making sure she had all the right accessories, from her hat to her scarf to her new sparkle shoes!!! I thought she looked so girly and adorable!!!! (Under the hat, Nick even gave her a cute pony tail!!!!) He is such a great dad!!!
Do you notice the mark on Carson's face? Yesterday, while playing in the sand box, there was an accident that involved a metal shovel that made contact with his face. Poor guy had blood everywhere!! I wasn't there when it happened so Nick had to get him all cleaned up and when I got home he already had a bandaid on his face (see pictures above) and was acting just fine. He is such a tough kid!
Carson had a fun time on his egg hunt...they blew the horn and all the kids went out and got 3 eggs, then they blew it again and they could get as many as they could! I like that rule, it is more fair that way!!
There were so many people there!! But after waiting in line for a bit we got to see the easter bunny!!!
After the egg hunt, I went to Walmart and picked up strawberries that were on sale for $.97 a lb. so we could make some jam!! Carson is the best helper and did a great job helping me prepare the strawberries. I was able to borrow the food processor again from Jana and I am sure glad I did. It made it SO easy to get the strawberries chopped up!
After I got the jam started, Nick took both kids with him to Harbor Freight to spend a gift card and do some tool shopping. It made it nice and quiet while I worked and listened to conference.
20 lbs strawberries + 40 cups of sugar + 10 cups corn syrup + 2 1/2 cups lemon juice + 10 boxes of pectin + a few hours of work and a lot of dirty dishes = 35 containers of yummy homemade freezer jam!!!!

It made for a long day!! After running, the egg hunt, and standing in the kitchen making jam, I am now sitting here realizing how tired my legs and feet are!! But it was worth it!!! Nick is at the Priesthood Session while the kids and I just relax in our pj's!! Yes, pj's!! I think we will try and get to bed early tonight!!! I can't wait for tomorrow....a day of general conference, family, conference cakes, and of course the Easter Bunny is coming to our house tonight!

No comments: