Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I love Wednesdays...

So most of us have our favorite day of the week, and I used to love Saturdays when I was working, since it was a day off. I really like Sunday's, especially now we have early Church, and it is usually a nice relaxing day. But, I now love WEDNESDAYS!! Let me tell you why I now look forward to Wednesdays....

Ever since I have been out of college, I haven't really played in any structured musical group. I have tried a few things, but nothing really serious. Music is my passion, and as I am getting older, it is harder and harder to find the time or way to get involved in music, other than just singing to my children or playing the piano at home or at church. So...last July I got the opportunity to audition for the Bells on Temple Square aka BOTS. It was such a wonderful experience and I was told there really wasn't any openings for girls right now, just men. But, that he (Tom Waldron, the director) would keep me in mind if anything changes. It was fun even for that two weeks to attend their rehearsals and feel the spirit that was there. But I figured, since I was just a percussionist, not really a bell ringer, that nothing would ever come of it really soon. But in December I was pleasantly surprised when I was notified that they wanted me to become a substitute bell ringer starting in January. I gladly accepted, and so now every Wednesday evening I get to go and play with the BOTS, and it is so ENJOYABLE!! We practice at the Tabernacle on Temple Square. I am just a sub right now, which is how all ringers get in. I will fill in for concerts and broadcasts for those who aren't able to attend. If there is ever a permanent opening, they fill it with a sub. But I love Wednesday's now, since it gives me two hours to really enjoy something that I thought I would never get to do again....use my musical talents and share it with others. The best thing about BOTS, is that it is a Church calling, a musical mission. We are considered missionaries, and we use music to share the message about the gospel. My mom has been in the MOTAB for 15 years now, and it has been amazing to see her be a missionary that way. I just wanted to share my fun news, and tell my hubby, Nick, how much I appreciate his support in this calling. (Especially since he must put the kids to bed and watch them while I am gone EVERY week). So who knows when I will actually perform with them, since I am just a sub, but even at that, it is such a blessing.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm happy for you that you get to have this experience! It sounds like it will be a great one for you.

Christiansen Family said...

It always fun to have a hobby. Wednesday nights are awesome - I get to play basketball with the women in our stake. Maybe one day you'll be a permant bell ringer.

The Hornes said...

Congrats on your new hobby! I am sure it wont be long before you are one of the BOTS since you have such a talent with music!

Katie said...

I can't wait for someone to get sick so we can come see you "sub" at a performance! LOL! j/k But I do hope we get to come see you perform sometime!

Kellie said...

Congrats! That's exciting! I know what you mean about losing opportunities. I miss really sitting down and playing the piano and singing. I used to love singing! I'm excited for you!!!

Jana Banana said...

I am excited for you too! You are so talented, and I can't wait to see you in action!